Miami-Dade Police Department
Position: Latent Fingerprint Examiner
Job ID: 004222
Salary: $60,230.04 to $87,801.48
Location: Doral, Florida
The MIAMI-DADE POLICE DEPARTMENT (MDPD) Fingerprint Identification Section is seeking an experienced friction ridge examiner with at least one year of fingerprint identification experience for an anticipated vacancy. The Fingerprint Identification Section is a large, state-of-the-art facility with modern equipment, Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS) work stations, and forensic latent laboratory.
We seek an individual who will meet the challenge of becoming a court-qualified Latent Fingerprint Examiner, and is able to work independently within a team environment. The ideal candidate will possess Tenprint or Latent Print Certification through the International Association for Identification (IAI), knowledge of ISO-17025 accreditation standards, and knowledge of Automated Fingerprint Identification Systems.
Currently, the Latent Unit has 9 latent fingerprint examiners. We are in Sunny South Florida with great beaches, plenty of fishing, diving, shows, sports, cruises and many other attractions.
Applicants must be a US citizen or US permanent resident prior to being hired. Applicants must have a bachelor or advanced degree in physical, biological or forensic science from an accredited college or university or a non-science degree with completion of at least 12 credit hours in physical or biological science-related coursework. Professional experience in either a forensic laboratory or law enforcement agency in the latent fingerprint discipline may substitute on a year-for-year basis for the required college education.
Qualified applicants will be subject to an extensive screening process to include background investigation, fingerprint check, physical and polygraph examination.
· Performs collection, examination, and analysis of fingerprint evidence
· Analyze, compare, and evaluate friction ridge impressions using the AFIS
· Performs latent processing on items of physical evidence utilizing various physical and chemical methods
· Performs collection and documentation of evidence at crimes scenes, as necessary
· Prepares court exhibits and renders testimony in courts of law
· Health/Dental Benefits
· Florida Retirement System: 25 years, 75% of salary (vested after 6 years), 3% cost to employee
· Deferred Compensation investment program available (pretax investment)
· Two (2) weeks of paid vacation annually
· 96 hours of paid sick leave per year
· First 48 hours of sick leave that is not used can be converted to annual vacation days
· Eligible employees will be paid for 100% of unused sick leave at date of retirement
· College tuition refund program – County will pay 50% of tuition for approved curriculum
· 3-5% annual merit pay and cost of living raises
· 5% salary increase for IAI Tenprint Certification
· Annual Longevity Bonus after 15 years of service
· 13 paid holidays (includes birthday and a floating holiday)
· $80.00 biweekly law enforcement specialty supplement via the bargaining unit
· No state income tax
· The laboratory has been ASCLD/LAB accredited since 1989 and recently became accredited in the latent print and tenprint disciplines as of 2015.
· The Department has been CALEA accredited since 1993
Applicants must apply online at: www.miamidade.gov/jobs
Closing Date: 03/06/2017
For additional information contact:
Brian Cerchiai, Fingerprint Supervisor
Miami-Dade Police Department Fingerprint Identification Section
9105 NW 25 St
Miami, Florida 33172