Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office
Crime Scene Investigator
$23.30-$40.01 Hourly; $48,464.00-$83,227.14 Yearly
$23.30 Hourly; $48,464.00 Yearly
Job Schedule (Subject to Change)
Non-standard hours including nights, weekends, and holidays. Shift is subject to bidding process.
Job Location (Subject to Change)
Various locations throughout Hillsborough County
Twelve-month probationary period
Perform duties conducting major crime scene investigations to locate, identify, preserve, photograph, and prepare evidence for submission to crime laboratories for analysis.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform some or all of the activities described below.
- Conduct crime scene investigations to locate, identify, preserve, photograph, and prepare collected evidence to establish and maintain chain of custody and for submission to crime laboratories for analysis.
- Photograph and videotape major crime scenes using 35mm cameras, video cameras, and digital imagery.
- Prepare cast impressions of footwear, tool, and tire impressions for later analysis and comparison.
- Locate, develop, preserve, and collect latent prints at crime scenes using fuming techniques, powders, chemicals, photographic techniques, and alternate light sources.
- Prepare crime scene sketches by hand or by utilizing computer aided drafting (CAD) to record all evidence location and reference points.
- Attend autopsy to photograph, collect, document, and package evidence obtained from decedent such as hair, fibers, clothing, finger, foot or palm prints, fingernails, and body fluids.
- Testify in depositions and court proceedings on the methods and procedures utilized at crime scene investigations and evidence obtained during investigative process.
- Prepare crime scene investigation reports to document findings and involvement.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, practices, methods, and procedures used in crime scene investigation.
- Working knowledge of federal, state, and county criminal laws and ordinances pertaining to the collection and use of physical evidence.
- Working knowledge of the principles, practices, methods, and procedures used in fingerprint identification and preservation.
- Working knowledge of the functions, services, procedures, and regulations of the division to which assigned.
- Working knowledge of photography practices and techniques.
- Working knowledge of court proceedings and testimony.
- Skill in collecting and preserving physical evidence for laboratory analysis.
- Skill in operating photographic and fingerprint development and collection equipment.
- Ability and willingness to conduct crime scene processing and investigations, including performing tasks involving cadavers in various states of decomposition.
- Ability to prioritize work.
- Ability to follow established procedures.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to collect, organize, and evaluate data and develop logical conclusions.
- Ability and willingness to work with minute details over extended time periods.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to prepare records and maintain reports.
- Ability to read a road map.
- Ability to work under stressful conditions.
- Ability to climb, bend, stoop, kneel, or crouch at ground level.
- Ability to carry up to 60 pounds.
- Ability and willingness to work outside in a subtropical climate under adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to traverse uneven terrain, wooden, and marshy areas.
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
Note: Applicants must meet the following requirement(s) to be considered minimally qualified for the job.
A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate; and
Six years of crime scene investigation experience with a law enforcement agency.
An associate’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Biology, Chemistry, Criminal Justice, Crime Scene Technology, Forensic Science, or related field; and
Three years of crime scene investigation experience with a law enforcement agency.
A bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college of university with a major in Biology, Chemistry, Criminal Justice, Crime Scene Technology, Forensic Science or related field; and
One year of crime scene investigation experience with a law enforcement agency.
Successful completion of the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office Crime Scene Investigator Trainee program.
Proficiency using a radio, ten codes, lasers, alternate light sources, camera, ground penetrating radar, and FARO 3d Scan System.
Possession of a Crime Scene Certificate.
- Possession of a valid Florida driver’s license at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months.
- No illegal drug use after 30 years of age.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- Prior military personnel must not have a dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a criminal background investigation including polygraph, reference/employment/neighborhood checks, medical evaluation, and drug screening.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training