St. Johns County, FL Sheriff’s Office
Evidence Specialist, Part-Time
The Evidence Specialist is responsible for maintaining the chain of custody of evidence, handling evidence, preparing FDLE submittals, transporting evidence to crime labs and court, conducting reviews and return of evidence/property with the public and other appropriate entities, and other duties related to processing and storage of evidence.
Education and Qualification Requirements
- High School Diploma or Equivalency
- Type 25 WPM accurately
- Valid Florida Driver’s License
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Basic knowledge of general office equipment
- Complete property/evidence receipts to reflect chain of custody
- Verify information on all received evidence/property and processes accordingly
- Place evidence in appropriate bins/locations according to type of evidence/property and retrieval location
- Prepare evidence transmittals and transport evidence to FDLE crime laboratory in timely manner while preserving chain of custody
- Obtain court orders to destroy drugs/drug evidence
- Document evidence destruction/ disposal action â€¢ Research cases for property/evidence disposition
- Return property to owners/suspects/other agencies
- Assist State Attorney’s Office, Defense Attorneys, other agencies and general public
- Intake and input all evidence received
- Maintain Chain of Custody of all evidence submitted
- Copy items of evidence ad needed
- Run criminal history prior to release of firearms held in evidence
- Maintain Evidence Vault, Fridge/Freezer and Impound Lot
Job Controls and Complexities
- Report directly to supervisor
- Adhere to laws/agency policy/rules/ regulations/SOP/ procedures
- Maintain confidentiality/security of files and information obtained in the course of employment
- Process/compile/disseminate record/public record information as directed by approving authority in accordance with lawful requirements
- Maintain continuity and operational efficiency by accurate and timely dissemination of information to Staff and co-workers
- Adhere to leave, overtime and attendance policies/procedures (i.e. arrive promptly, regular attendance at work, notification to supervisor regarding absence from work due to illness or untimely incidents, etc.)
- General Public
- SJSO Employees
- Other Government Entities
- Work is in an office environment, within evidence storage areas (inside and outside) and other outside areas to include vault, impound log, bike lot
- Normal business hours apply; however, this position is subject to call-outs and overtime may be necessary including nights, holidays, and weekends
- Probable exposure to various odors, hazards, chemicals, pathogens, unsanitary locations, and unsightly and disturbing images
- Subject to random drug testing
- Sitting and standing for long periods
- See at normal range or with accommodations
- Hear at normal level or with accommodations
- Speak understandably
- Manual dexterity
- Ambulate independently
- Frequently grasp/push/pull/bend/squat/lift/carry items up to 20 lbs.
- Occasionally reach above head/kneel/walk/climb/stoop/stand/lift items up to 50 lbs.
Regular attendance is critical to the success of this position and assignment and is required of all Agency personnel. The list of tasks, policies and proficiencies for this position, as well as any statements contained within this page are considered essential. All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves, other employees, or the public. This job description in no way states or implies the listed duties are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employee will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by his/her supervisor.
See SJSO Policy for additional information on agency expectations and Senior Status requirements.
The St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office is an Drug Free Workplace, Veterans’ Preference and an Equal Opportunity Employer.